Can Your Business Make Money From Cardboard?
22nd Feb 2022
If your business produces a constant stream of cardboard, you may be surprised to learn that you could start making a profit from your waste. There are several ways to save money (and even make money) from your cardboard waste. Keep reading to find out how…
How does a cardboard baler work?
A cardboard baler is an innovative recycling machine that can be used to compress cardboard waste into compact bales. This popular piece of equipment can handle large quantities of cardboard quickly and effortlessly. You simply insert cardboard waste like cardboard boxes into the machine and it will create space-efficient bales to store on-site until your waste is collected.
How can a cardboard baler save me money?
A cardboard baler will improve the efficiency of your waste management and help you save space, time, and money. According to experts at QCR, using a cardboard baler could save your business up to £1,248 every year. This makes baling an attractive option for companies that want to lower their overhead costs and improve the efficiency of their waste management processes.
In some cases, you may be able to make some extra cash from your cardboard waste by selling it to a waste recycling collection service for a fee. The company will collect your cardboard bales and handle the recycling process - saving you time and generating an extra income for your business.
Baler maintenance tips
You must take good care of your cardboard baler to keep it functioning correctly. Fortunately, baler maintenance is relatively simple. Following these tips to keep your baling machine in prime condition:
- Only insert the correct waste items into your baling machine. Check your machine manual for more information on what you can put in a cardboard baler.
- If it is a vertical baler – boxes are always best loaded upside down to prevent the sides of cardboard getting lodged between the pressing plate and the walls of the baler – whilst not a maintenance tip – it really can help prevent down-time.
- Complete regular maintenance tasks like draining the compressor and checking the machine’s oil levels. Refer to your machine manual for a checklist of maintenance tasks to be completed.
- Arrange an annual baler service with QCR.
How does a cardboard shredder work?
An industrial shredder like the PacShred S has been designed to handle heavy-duty waste materials such as cardboard. This machine transforms your cardboard waste into a sustainable and low-cost packaging solution for your business.
How can a cardboard shredder save me money?
The main benefit of using a shredder is that it recycles and repurposes commercial waste by transforming old cardboard boxes into low-cost packaging. This eliminates the need to purchase expensive packaging materials as shredded cardboard can be used to protect products when they are being transported. Cardboard packaging is also a more sustainable alternative to traditional plastic packaging like bubble wrap.
Investing in a cardboard shredder can lower your business overheads by providing an eco-friendly and affordable packaging solution for your business. Cardboard shredders are the perfect solution for companies that produce lots of cardboard waste and regularly dispatch products to customers.
Utilising a shredder will improve the efficiency of your waste management and lower your packaging costs. It will also save your employees time as they will no longer need to flat-pack cardboard boxes manually. This will have a positive impact on productivity in the workplace and help you maximise your return on investment.
Shredder maintenance tips
Shredding machines are fairly low maintenance, but you do need to take care of them to avoid faults and costly repairs. Here are a few tips to keep your cardboard shredder in great condition:
- Only insert suitable waste items into your shredder and avoid overloading the machine with paper or cardboard waste.
- Inspect your shredder regularly and look for signs of wear or damage.
- Oil the blades as per the manual instructions – models will vary.
- Empty the waste collection bin attached to the shredder regularly.
- Stop shredding immediately if you notice a blockage and remove it before you continue shredding. QCR machines are built in with a clever ‘auto-reverse when stuck’ – but you should be wary of trying to put too much into the shredder.
There are lots of things you can do to improve the efficiency of your waste management if you own a company that generates high volumes of cardboard waste. Investing in a recycling machine like a baler or a shredder will reduce your waste management overhead costs and it could even generate an extra source of income for your business.